Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, suggestions?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: swampler(at)noao(dot)edu, "Jason M(dot) Felice" <jfelice(at)cronosys(dot)com>, Postgres-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and SOAP, suggestions?
Date: 2003-03-31 12:43:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

mlw kirjutas E, 31.03.2003 kell 03:43:
> Given a HTTP formatted query:
> GET "http://localhost:8181/pgmuze?query=select+*+from+zsong+limit+2"
>
> The output is entered below.
>
> Questions:
> Is there a way, without spcifying a binary cursor, to get the data types
> associated with columns? Right now I am just using undefined, as the
> ODBC version works.
>
> Anyone see any basic improvements needed?
>
> <?xml version = "1.0"?>
> <soap:Envelope xmlns:MWSSQL="http://www.mohawksoft.com/MWSSQL/envelope">
> <soap:Header>
> <!-- Fields in set -->
> <Columns count="9">

The SOAP 1.1 spec specifies (p4.2) the following about SOAP Header:

The encoding rules for header entries are as follows:

1. A header entry is identified by its fully qualified element
name, which consists of the namespace URI and the local name.
All immediate child elements of the SOAP Header element MUST be
namespace-qualified.

I'm not sure that SOAP Header is the right place for Query header info,
as the header is meant for:

SOAP provides a flexible mechanism for extending a message in a
decentralized and modular way without prior knowledge between the
communicating parties. Typical examples of extensions that can be
implemented as header entries are authentication, transaction
management, payment etc.

So the definition of structure should probably be inside SOAP:Body .

Hannu