Re: Row vs. tuple

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Row vs. tuple
Date: 2003-03-25 21:01:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

Tom Lane kirjutas L, 15.03.2003 kell 23:31:
> Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> > How about: s/(row|tuple)/record/
>
> We do need two different terms: eliminating the distinction between a
> row and a version of a row is not going to improve matters.

For me "row version" is a nice, self-explaining term. There is very
little chance that you will misake it for anything else, from whatever
culture (math,db,bean-counting,hardware hacking,...) you come from.

Tuple and record are both already loaded with several different and
contradicting meanings.

> I have nothing against the word "record", but it doesn't seem to help
> clarify this distinction ...

True.

Hannu