Re: Upgrading rant.

From: Greg Copeland <greg(at)CopelandConsulting(dot)Net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Upgrading rant.
Date: 2003-01-05 14:47:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 22:37, Tom Lane wrote:
> You're missing the point: I don't want to lock out everyone but the
> super-user, I want to lock out everyone, period. Superusers are just
> as likely to screw up pg_upgrade as anyone else.
>
> BTW:
>
> $ postmaster -N 1 -c superuser_reserved_connections=1
> postmaster: superuser_reserved_connections must be less than max_connections.
> $

Well, first, let me say that the above just seems wrong. I can't think
of any valid reason why reserved shouldn't be allowed to equal max.

I also assumed that pg_update would be attempting to connect as the
superuser. Therefore, if you only allow a single connection from the
superuser and pg_upgrade is using it, that would seem fairly hard to
mess things up. On top of that, that's also the risk of someone being a
superuser. They will ALWAYS have the power to hose things. Period. As
such, I don't consider that to be a valid argument.

--
Greg Copeland <greg(at)copelandconsulting(dot)net>
Copeland Computer Consulting