Re: Better way to bulk-load millions of CSV records into

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better way to bulk-load millions of CSV records into
Date: 2002-05-22 17:18:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 09:19, Tom Sheehan wrote:
> Have you looked at the COPY command is psql for this? There are the, 'FROM
> { 'filename' | stdin } and [ [USING] DELIMITERS] clauses that may be of use.
> It seems to me that bulk loading is what they were designed for.

It doesn't handle csv files where there are double-quotes
around each field. Also, it runs it 1 big transaction,
and if it fails, you must load the whole thing over again...

From the mailing list archives, I see where COPY was only
designed for db_dump, but has had a few features added to
it. It was not designed to be a full-featured bulk loader/unloader.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..." |
| Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002, |
! CNN, Larry King Live |