Re: BUG #6198: init-po fails for plperl due to invalid xsubpp path (contains ExtUtils)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6198: init-po fails for plperl due to invalid xsubpp path (contains ExtUtils)
Date: 2011-09-04 23:32:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 16:57, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
>> Aha! When I run configure like this
>>
>> $ ./configure --with-perl --enable-nls=cs

> Whoa, I totally missed that it was without --with-perl. :-)

>> then it works, so obviously the "--with-perl" option is required.
>> Shouldn't this behave a bit differently, e.g. not allowing "enable-nls"
>> without "with-perl"? Allowing that and getting not-fully-working tree is
>> not a good thing I guess ...

> Hrm, I don't know much about the nls stuff... but it seems like a
> reasonable request to me.

Uh, no, because init-po is not needed by mere users of existing
translations. Nor does somebody who wants --enable-nls necessarily
care about building plperl. The failure here is not about combining NLS
with --without-perl, it's about trying to do anything at all with plperl
with --without-perl.

I'd say the fix is to make plperl's makefile defend itself against
somebody cd'ing to that directory and trying to use the makefile without
having configured correctly.

Another question worth asking is why is the rule being run at all?
Do we need to have built SPI.c in order to do init-po for plperl?