Re: pg_attribute file in PostgreSQL 9.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
Cc: Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_attribute file in PostgreSQL 9.0
Date: 2012-03-07 17:24:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> On 03/07/2012 09:03 AM, Lukasz Brodziak wrote:
>> Thanks a lot I have found file I needed let's hope I will be able to
>> fix the problem now as I cannot connect to the database because I get
>> 'catalog is missing 1 attribute for relation 2662' which I hope to be
>> able to repair by getting the pg_attribute file from another db.

> STOP! Don't touch anything just yet. Now we know the real reason for the
> question.

... yeah, and this is the wrong answer. It's *exceedingly* unlikely
that plopping in the pg_attribute file from a different database will
accomplish anything except to make matters far worse. Even if the other
DB has exactly the same tables and exactly the same columns in those
tables, it likely doesn't have the same OID assignments.