Re: Replication direction

From: Ned Wolpert <ned(dot)wolpert(at)knowledgenet(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Replication direction
Date: 2002-02-22 18:22:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 10:20, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As far as WAL, it currently has the tid's in the WAL file which will not
> match other servers unless those servers are read-only. It is tempting
> to think that WAL or some other existing mechanism will allow us to do
> replication cheaply, but it is my understanding that the interactions of
> multiple write server is quite complicated and requires an amount of
> overhead mechanism that is similar to our current transaction mechanisms
> that allow multiple people to modify the same table.

Drat. I was hoping that the WAL was an overlooked 'easy' solution...
but from the sound of this thread, the WAL misses some key issues. And
it doesn't help the master-master environment at all, which I forgot.
Ah well...

--

Virtually,
Ned Wolpert <ned(dot)wolpert(at)knowledgenet(dot)com>

D08C2F45: 28E7 56CB 58AC C622 5A51 3C42 8B2B 2739 D08C 2F45