Re: postgresql 9.0.3: parallel restore fails with comments on indices

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Arnd Hannemann <arnd(dot)hannemann(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql 9.0.3: parallel restore fails with comments on indices
Date: 2011-02-18 17:35:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Arnd Hannemann <arnd(dot)hannemann(at)credativ(dot)de> writes:
> if pg_restore is used with -jN it fails if the dump has comments on indices.

Reproduced here, thanks for the report!

> The problem seems to be a false assumption in pg_backup_archiver.c:
> Comments are in SECTION_NONE so they get restored here regardless of dependencies, which is obviously wrong

Yeah, that seems to need a bit more thought. It's intentional that
comments that are in the PRE_DATA area get restored immediately, so as
not to eat all the overhead of a worker subprocess for them. But we
can't do it that way for comments intermixed with POST_DATA items.

I think the simplest fix is to allow this loop to process SECTION_NONE
items only as long as it hasn't skipped any prior items.