Re: Minmax indexes

From: "Erik Rijkers" <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Minmax indexes
Date: 2013-11-11 09:35:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, November 11, 2013 09:53, Erik Rijkers wrote:
> On Fri, November 8, 2013 21:11, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>
>> Here's a version 7 of the patch, which fixes these bugs and adds
>> opclasses for a bunch more types (timestamp, timestamptz, date, time,
>> timetz), courtesy of Martín Marqués. It's also been rebased to apply
>> cleanly on top of today's master branch.
>>
>> I have also added a selectivity function, but I'm not positive that it's
>> very useful yet.
>>
>> [minmax-7.patch]
>
> The earlier errors are indeed fixed; now, I've been trying with the attached test case but I'm unable to find a query that
> improves with minmax index use. (it gets used sometimes but speedup is negligable).

Another issue (I think):

Attached is a program (and output as a .txt file) that gives the following (repeatable) error:

$ ./casanova_test.sh
\timing on
drop table if exists t1;
Time: 333.159 ms
create table t1 (i int);
Time: 155.827 ms
create index t1_i_idx on t1 using minmax(i);
Time: 204.031 ms
insert into t1 select generate_series(1, 25000000);
Time: 126312.302 ms
analyze t1;
ERROR: could not truncate file base/21324/26339_vm to 41 blocks: it's only 1 blocks now
Time: 472.504 ms
[...]

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Attachment Content-Type Size
casanova_test.sh application/x-shellscript 658 bytes
casanova_test.txt text/plain 1.8 KB