Re: Under what circumstances does PreparedStatement use stored plans?

From: James Robinson <jlrobins(at)socialserve(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Under what circumstances does PreparedStatement use stored plans?
Date: 2004-04-13 23:19:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Apr 13, 2004, at 5:18 PM, Oliver Jowett wrote:

> This sounds like JDBC3's "statement pooling" option. There's no API
> for this, it's just allowable behaviour, so we should be fine to
> implement something like this.
>
> Actually, you don't have to do this in the driver itself at all -- you
> can do it in your connection pooling layer if you proxy the
> PreparedStatement objects handed out to clients. close() on a proxy
> returns the underlying statement to a per-physical-connection pool of
> statements rather than actually closing it. Then the driver can just
> store prepared-query-plan info per PreparedStatement as it currently
> does.

I fear diving into the JBoss connection pool code. The JDBC driver is a
shining example of clear, simple code relative to the JBoss codebase.
Plus I would imagine this issue would exist across any EJB container /
connection pool mechanism.

I'll need to read the JDBC3 spec, I guess.

----
James Robinson
Socialserve.com