seqential vs random io

From: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: seqential vs random io
Date: 2005-05-23 20:58:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

I just got a question from one our QA guys who is configuring a RAID 10
disk that is destined to hold a postgresql database. The disk
configuration procedure is asking him if he wants to optimize for
sequential or random access. My first thought is that random is what we
would want, but then I started wondering if it's not that simple, and my
knowledge of stuff at the hardware level is, well, limited.....

If it were your QA guy, what would you tell him?

- DAP
David Parker Tazz Networks (401) 709-5130