Re: postmaster blues after system restart

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postmaster blues after system restart
Date: 2005-10-14 02:40:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Oct 13, 2005, at 9:35 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com> writes:
>
>> When I restart, everything seems to come up fine with the exception
>> that postmaster starts in a state such that it doesn't seem to be
>> accepting connections (either over UNIX or TCP/IP). As best I can
>> tell, it is using the init script to start postgres because
>> pg_autovacuum tries to start, too, and dies shortly after the box
>> comes up because it, too, cannot connect to postgres.
>
> hmmm ... maybe you need to start your DNS server first?

I'll check the order in which services are started. But would the DNS
server prevent UNIX socket connections?

>> Also, is there any way to get more status out of a postmaster if one
>> cannot connect to it?
>
> One thing I'd look into is exactly what ports it's listening to ---
> try lsof and/or netstat for this. Also, have you looked at the
> postmaster log?

I'll take a look at the ports. I was wondering about the best way to
do that.

The postmaster log gives no evidence of anything out of the ordinary.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect

Open Source Solutions. Optimized Web Development.

http://www.sitening.com/
110 30th Avenue North, Suite 6
Nashville, TN 37203-6320
615-469-5150