Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff?

From: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'cluster'" <skrald(at)amossen(dot)dk>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff?
Date: 2008-08-28 20:04:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

I havent had any issues with software raid (mdadm) and hot-swaps. It keeps
working in degraded mode and as soon as you replace the defective disk it
can reconstruct the array on the fly. Performance will suffer while at it
but the service keeps up.
The battery backup makes a very strong point for a hw controller. Still, I
have heard good things on combining a HW controller with JBODS leaving the
RAID affair to mdadm. In your scenario though with "*lots* of random reads",
if I had to choose between a HW controller & 2 disks or software RAID with 4
or 6 disks, I would go for the disks. There are motherboards with 6 SATA
ports. For the money you will save on the controller you can afford 6 disks
in a RAID 10 setup.

Cheers,
Fernando.