Re: Newbie just starting on charting with PHP - and seeking advice on options/approaches

From: Ilan Volow <listboy(at)clarux(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie just starting on charting with PHP - and seeking advice on options/approaches
Date: 2008-01-25 22:47:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

If you enable XML functionality on the postgres server, you could
dynamically generate charts with SVG and shoot that at your users
(assuming they have browsers that support SVG).

You asked for other thoughts, you never said that they couldn't be
outlandish ;)

On Jan 25, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Greg Cocks wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking at options to chart dynamic data held in the
> PostgreSQL database pushed out to the web ‘pages’ via PHP, time
> series data in a scientific setting such as groundwater levels from
> a transducer…
>
> I was seeking any input anyone might care to offer…
>
> Initial searching found these:
>
> http://www.maani.us/charts/index.php (with newbie tutorial I found
> at http://www.developer.com/lang/php/article.php/3714046 )
>
> http://quimby.gnus.org/circus/chart/chart-manual.php
>
> http://www.amcharts.com/
>
> http://naku.dohcrew.com/libchart/pages/introduction/
>
> http://code.google.com/apis/chart/ (simple example explained here à
> http://james.cridland.net/code/google-chart.html )
>
> Or any other thoughts??
>
> (I guess I could maybe pull together US$100 for licence if needed…)
>
> I don’t need anything fancy, as the technical data analysis will be
> done inside the network with ODBC, etc… this is more for the less-
> technical web page user to see the data graphically… (much like
> they can see it spatially via MapServer…)
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> ----------
> Regards,
> GREG COCKS
> GIS Analyst V
> gcocks|at|stoller.com
> S. M. Stoller Corp
> 105 Technology Drive, Suite 190
> Broomfield, CO 80021
> www.stoller.com
> 303-546-4300
> 303-443-1408 fax
> 303-546-4422 direct
> 303-828-7576 cell

Ilan Volow
"Implicit code is inherently evil, and here's the reason why:"