Re: Memory allocation for postmaster service...

From: "Kevin Schroeder" <kschroeder(at)mirageworks(dot)com>
To: "Mike Leahy" <mgleahy(at)fes(dot)uwaterloo(dot)ca>, <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory allocation for postmaster service...
Date: 2003-09-17 22:09:30
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Sometimes if you put a column in the WHERE part of the query that is in one
of the indexes, even you aren't using it, sometimes that will force use of
an index. Or what you can try is if you have multiple parts in your WHERE
statement (e.g where column1 = 1 and column2 = 2) try creating an index that
has both of those in there.

There are a number of different things like that which you can use to trick
PostgreSQL into using an index. I've had the same problems where PostgreSQL
won't use an index but the methods I've stated above have worked for me in
the past.

Kevin