Re: Timestamp confusion

From: "Rob Richardson" <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp confusion
Date: 2010-09-28 15:00:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

What time zone does the value in my table represent to you? To me, it
looks like an EDT time.

It must be possible to compare the time in this table to a time stored
in another table in a column whose type is timestamp without time zone.

More specifics:

My company makes annealing furnaces. Steel must be annealed (heated and
then cooled at a controlled rate) to ensure that it won't crack when
shaped into automobile bodies, applicances, fasteners, and so on.
Various steps in the process are stored in the charge table in our
database in pairs of fields: the local time and the UTC time. Both are
of type timestamp without time zone. I need to be able to compare the
time stored in the alarm_hold table (type timestamp with time zone) to
the time stored in the charge table. I need to know if 2010-09-28
13:09:27.015-04 from a timestamp with time zone column represents the
same time as 2010-09-28 13:09:27.015 from a timestamp without time zone
column.

Thanks again!

RobR