Re: SQL-standard function body

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SQL-standard function body
Date: 2020-08-28 05:33:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-06-30 19:49, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> This adds support for writing CREATE FUNCTION and CREATE PROCEDURE
> statements for language SQL with a function body that conforms to the
> SQL standard and is portable to other implementations.

Here is a new patch. The only significant change is that pg_dump
support is now fixed. Per the discussion in [0], I have introduced a
new function pg_get_function_sqlbody() that just produces the formatted
SQL body, not the whole function definition. All the tests now pass.
As mentioned before, more tests are probably needed, so if reviewers
just want to play with this and find things that don't work, those could
be put into test cases, for example.

As a thought, a couple of things could probably be separated from this
patch and considered separately:

1. making LANGUAGE SQL the default

2. the RETURN statement

If reviewers think that would be sensible, I can prepare separate
patches for those.

[0]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/9df8a3d3-13d2-116d-26ab-6a273c1ed38c%402ndquadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-SQL-standard-function-body.patch text/plain 80.6 KB