Re: Row counts for large tables cause temporary hang

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Mark Kirkwood" <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Row counts for large tables cause temporary hang
Date: 2004-04-28 07:13:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Mark,

Thanks :-)

> The only gripe I have is the seemingly automatic count on
> tables as they are clicked on - this hangs Pgadmin for
> minutes on one of the big tables (10 million rows).

Please look under File -> Options, and on the Query tab you can set the
threshold value for the 'estimated' rows above which 'real' rows are not
counted. You need to analyse your database periodically to ensure the
estimated value stays fairly accurate (this is recommended anyway).

Regards, Dave.