Re: Newbie to pgadmin

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Miguel González Castaños <mgc(at)tid(dot)es>, <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Newbie to pgadmin
Date: 2003-11-28 16:12:35
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Miguel,

> [+] As In the Introduction and Concepts book from Bruce
> Monjiam suggests, We use serial number instead of OIDs. If
> OIDs are not used in the tables, then There is no way to add
> rows in the edit grid...At least I havent found the way...

The edit grid will work if you have either a primary key or OIDs in your table. I usually add a serial column to every table and mark it as the primary key.

> [+] There is any case ( I have been able to reproduce it
> again) where pgadmin III required to use public."test" name
> for a table instead of the name test. I still do not know
> why, as I have said, I havent been able to reproduce it again

At a guess you capitalised it so it created public."Test". If you stick to lower case, numbers and underscore characters that should prevent quoting making your schema look messy :-)

> [+] For that reason Someone suggested to use pgaccess, which
> seems that has a way of doing so. This tool seems to be much
> easier, but also more limited that pgadmin III, though. So in
> the end, I have suggested to use PgAdmin III for designing
> the database and PgAccess for inserting the data. I dont know
> if It would be easy or not to have a look into the pgaccess
> code and share some source code...(although are not coded in
> the same computer language ?)

No they aren't (and the licences are incompatible), but there isn't much need anyway as the pgAdmin data editor works well if you have pkeys.

> [+] Apart of that I see in the ToDo list that the
> backup/restore option will appear soon...Is that related with
> the export data dialog, isnt it?

No. The Export Data dialogue simply exports data in a results grid to a delimited text file. The backup option will be a frontend to pg_dump, whilst restore will probably be an enhanced script runner that can handle compressed scripts and \connect directives.

> [+] I am a native Spanish speaker (quite obvious from my
> mistakes writing English),

Not that obvious, your English is far better than many native speakers I know!

> if any help is needed (even coding
> something) I could give a hand...

Thanks - please feel free to lend a hand however you like, just pick something from the bugs list or todo list and have a go at producing a patch. It's definitely a good idea to email the hackers list pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org with your intended work though just we don't work on the same things.

Alternatively, the website could do with a Spanish translation. Details are at http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/translation.php if you wish to give it a go.

> Anyway I would like to
> comment that in the Sequences, the word chosen is
> "Sequencias" and in Spanish is "Secuencias"...just a small typo...

Thanks. I have updated the PO file for this.

Regards, Dave.