problem query ...

From: John Taylor <postgres(at)jtresponse(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem query ...
Date: 2002-01-31 16:24:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I hope someone can help with this query, which is causing me great problems.

I have a table:
create table mytable ( id varchar(10), name varchar(10), desc varchar(10), update integer);

I want to return 1 row for each id, that contains the maximum update value for that id, and
the values for name and desc.

I've tried everything I can think of, but no luck :-(
I'm sure there is some simple trick that I'm missing.

Can someone please put me out of my misery !

Thanks
JohnT