how to improve the performance of creating index

From: "Yinan Li" <yinanli(at)cse(dot)ust(dot)hk>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to improve the performance of creating index
Date: 2007-10-19 11:57:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, all

I am trying to improve the performance of creating index.

I've set shared_buffers = 1024MB

Effective_cache_size = 1024MB

Work_mem = 1GB

Maintenance_work_mem=512MB

(I'm sure that the server process has received the SIGHUP signal)

However, when create index, I found that the memory used by Postgres is only
50MB. And it is very slow. How to make it faster?

All helps are appreciated.

Thanks.

Yinan