Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong

From: Philip Crotwell <crotwell(at)seis(dot)sc(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2357: docs for mod() are wrong
Date: 2006-03-25 01:07:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mar 24, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Philip Crotwell" <crotwell(at)seis(dot)sc(dot)edu> writes:
>> It would be nice if mod could directly take a double,
>
> Given the inherent approximate nature of float arithmetic, I'm not sure
> this makes a lot of sense. How often do you really do modulo on
> floats?

We have a table with double longitudes as a column, but it is always a
problem as to whether the earth is -180 to 180 or 0 to 360. To get
around it we so something like
SELECT * FROM table WHERE minlon < mod(lon, 360) AND maxlon > mod(lon,
360)
The basic idea is that using mod(lon, 360) allows us to find entries
with lon=-90 or lon=270 as they are really the same spot on the ground.

It isn't that big of a deal as you can work around it by casting, but
the fact mod works with a numeric but not with a double just seemed
strange to me.

thanks,
Philip