Why is restored database faster?

From: David Shadovitz <david(at)shadovitz(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Why is restored database faster?
Date: 2003-12-17 04:42:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

I backed up my database using pg_dump, and then restored it onto a different
server using psql. I see that the query "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM myTable"
executes immediately on the new server but takes several seconds on the old
one. (The servers are identical.)

What could account for this difference? Clustering? How can I get the
original server to perform as well as the new one?

Thanks.
-David