Does Pgress ODBC do unicode?

From: "r I C h" <rich(at)digital-magic(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Does Pgress ODBC do unicode?
Date: 1998-12-04 10:45:06
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi, i've DBCE (Double Byte Character Encoded) EUC Japanese box with the
following specs:

rs% uname -a
FreeBSD rs.digital-magic.co.jp 2.2.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE #0:

Postgres 6.4 with the latest patch applied
ODBC driver v: 6.40.0001

& the (relevant part of) sql.trace log is this:

MSACCESS ffe28191:ffe0a049 ENTER SQLGetData
HSTMT 0x03919fbc
UWORD 1
SWORD 1 <SQL_C_CHAR>
PTR 0x0062d780
SDWORD 256
SDWORD * 0x0062d8c0

MSACCESS ffe28191:ffe0a049 EXIT SQLGetData with return code 0
(SQL_SUCCESS)
HSTMT 0x03919fbc
UWORD 1
SWORD 1 <SQL_C_CHAR>
PTR 0x0062d780 [ 10] "\1b$BEl5~\1b(B"
SDWORD 256
SDWORD * 0x0062d8c0 (10)

... My problem is that i'm using the ODBC driver to bind a Japanese Win95
Access DB to Postgres. Postgres has the character encoding working just
fine, but when i view the data in access, it's all scrambled into ASCII junk
(we call it 'mojibake'). i've tried everything i know, but it seems like the
data is already wacked when it reaches Access, so i'm thinkin' that the
driver does something wacky to the EUC.

tanx,
-r