Re: "=" operator vs. "IS"

From: <terry(at)ashtonwoodshomes(dot)com>
To: "'Michael A Nachbaur'" <mike(at)nachbaur(dot)com>, "'Stefan Weiss'" <spaceman(at)foo(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "=" operator vs. "IS"
Date: 2004-06-28 23:00:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

Think about a join where you do something like:
t1.f1 = t2.f1

If both columns were blank, would you want the join to succeed? Probably not, if you did, then you
would potentially have a cartesian select. This is not a good explanation of NULL non-equality, but
I thought it might be useful.

NOTE: A related topic is OUTER JOIN's which is how the above join would properly be implemented

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085