Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour

From: "Moray McConnachie" <moray(dot)mcconnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: "Tim Joyce" <tim(at)hoop(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "paneris administration" <administration(at)messageboards(dot)paneris(dot)org>, "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psql trerminal behaviour
Date: 1999-09-29 15:09:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

----- Original Message -----

> "Tim Joyce" <tim(at)hoop(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> > i think that the postgres build should check more thoroughly that
> > /usr/include/readline/*.h exists and not let you make with out it,
>
> That cure would be a lot worse than the disease!

Agreed.

> > as pgsql is quite unusable without arrow and del keys.
>
> If you don't have readline installed, then you're not used to using
it,
> so I doubt you will consider psql "unusable" without it. Postgres
is
> already a pain to install; adding more required prerequisite
packages
> would make it worse...

As I understand it, Postgres installation requires you not only to
have readline installed, but to have the readline header-files
installed. Many people may have the readline libraries installed, but
not the headers, e.g, under RedHat 6.0, where you would need to
install not only readline-x.y.rpm (installed by default), but
readline-devel-x.y.rpm, which is not installed by default, IIRC. Might
it be worth sticking something like this on the install FAQ?
Moray(dot)McConnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk