REINDEX question

From: "Mark Steben" <msteben(at)autorevenue(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: REINDEX question
Date: 2007-06-22 15:03:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good morning,

We are at Postgres 7.4.5. I have encountered inaccuracies

after reindexing related to the statistics posted back to the PG_CLASS
table

For instance:

1. We have a 'queues' table with 6 indexes. We are at 110,000 rows in
this table.

When I reindex, the RELPAGE count decreases as expected but the
RELTUPLE

Count increases to about 132,000 in all indexes. I check and there
are still

Only 110,000 rows on the table.

2. We have a table that is quite volatile in its numbers, ranging from 100
to 6 million rows.

Last week we were at 50,000 rows but PG_CLASS.RELTUPLES showed 6
million for

The indexes. I reindexed and, again the RELPAGES count went down but
the RELTUPLES

Number went down to just 3 million.

Again a count after reindex gave the actual row count at 52,000.

Does anybody have any insight why this is happening and what I can do in the
short term?

I know we are at a back-leveled version so perhaps the long-term answer is
to upgrade.

Thank you,

Mark Steben

Senior DBA - AutoRevenue

Direct dial phone number: 413-327-3045

Please visit our new website at www.autorevenue.com
<http://www.autorevenue.com/>

"We do all the work.... you make all the money"