[TEST REPORT] StackBuilder installs old JDBC driver (in strange location on 64-bit Windows)

From: "Adam Rauch" <adam(at)labkey(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: [TEST REPORT] StackBuilder installs old JDBC driver (in strange location on 64-bit Windows)
Date: 2010-09-10 20:32:09
Lists: pgsql-testers

[TEST REPORT]

[Release]: 9.0RC1

[Test Type]: Install

[Test]: Installed 64-bit Windows version via the installer and ran Stack
Builder

[Platform]: Windows 7 64-Bit

[Parameters]:

[Failure]: Yes

[Results]: Old JDBC drivers, postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc3.jar and
postgresql-8.4-701.jdbc4.jar, were installed; I expected drivers that
actually support 9.0. Also (though less important), while the PostgreSQL
installer itself defaults to c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0 (as expected
for a 64-bit program), Stack Builder's default install directory for the
JDBC drivers is c:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\pgJDBC. This is
unintuitive and makes the drivers difficult to find. I expected them to end
up somewhere near my PostgreSQL install directory (e.g., c:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\pgJDBC).

[Comments]: PostgreSQL 9.0 installer needs to ship the 9.0 JDBC drivers
since the 8.4 JDBC drivers have known incompatibilities with 9.0 servers.
The drivers currently shipping with RC1 are in fact obsolete versions of the
8.4 drivers (702 is the most recent).