Re: Questions Regarding Sessions

From: "Adrian Tineo" <adriantineo(at)softhome(dot)net>
To: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Questions Regarding Sessions
Date: 2003-03-22 10:15:09
Lists: pgsql-php

From the manual:

"If register_globals is disabled, only members of the global associative
array $_SESSION can be registered as session variables. The restored session
variables will only be available in the array $_SESSION.

Use of $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS with PHP 4.0.6 or less) is
recommended for improved security and code readablity. With $_SESSION, there
is no need to use the session_register(), session_unregister(),
session_is_registered() functions. Session variables are accessible like any
other variables. "

register_globals is disabled by default in the latest versions.

Here is what I do:

In login.php:
session_name("SESSION");
session_start();
$_SESSION["valid_session"] = 1;
$_SESSION["other_session_variable_1"]=$other_session_variable_1;
$_SESSION["other_session_variable_2"]=$other_session_variable_2;
// ....
$_SESSION["other_session_variable_n"]=$other_session_variable_n;
header("Location: ./menu.php");

In menu.php and every other page controlled by the session, at the top:
session_name("SESSION");
session_start();
if (!$_SESSION["valid_session"]){
header("Location: ./error.php");
exit();
}

In logout.php:
session_name("SESSION");
session_start();
session_destroy();

That's it, no $HTTP_SESSION_VARS and no session_is_registered(), etc.

Adrian Tineo