Re: Re: upgrading RPM query

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: jltsix4(at)yahoo(dot)com (John Turner), pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: upgrading RPM query
Date: 2001-08-20 18:37:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Monday 20 August 2001 09:13, John Turner wrote:
> > As to rebuilding from SRPMS, if you have enough to compile from the
> > tarball you simply:
> > rpm --rebuild postgresql-7.1.2-4PGDG.src.rpm
> > and pick up your binary RPMs from /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.
> >
> > Much simpler than a hand compile, at least on RedHat 7.1.

> QUESTION:
> Would that method apply to a SuSE 6.4 distribution.
> I have had the same bad luck trying to use the binary rpm's
> with the latest 7.1 release.
> Thanks for any light shed on this "library hell".
> John Turner

SuSE 6.4 is not something I am able to directly support -- but I _do_ know
that supporting SuSE 6.4 requires a great deal of modifications to our RPM in
order to get working. SuSE 7.1 and 7.2 are much better and much easier to
support. However, I can't really expect anyone to upgrade for my
convenience....

So, if you think you're up to trying to make the existing source RPM rebuild
cleanly on SuSE 6.4, you have my blessing. I can help in a limited way --
limited because, as I said, I do not possess SuSE 6.4.

And, YES, library versions under Linux distributions are as bad if not worse
than Windows' 'DLL Hell' is. Well, at least mostly. RPM-based Linux
distributions at least _tell_ you there's a problem.....
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio