Re: Can you generate SQL by using SQL in Postgres?

From: "Jason Minion" <jason(dot)minion(at)sigler(dot)com>
To: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can you generate SQL by using SQL in Postgres?
Date: 2005-05-19 19:06:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

I would recommend against passing a password on the command line, as that will show up on process lists. You really want to use a .pgpass file. I found this discussion on google that may be of interest to you:

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/195308/PostgreSQL_Backup_Script.html

For information on .pgpass file, check:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

When used correctly .pgpass files result in no less security than having a password in plain text in another file on the system. Note the permission restrictions.

If you are writing an application using C, Perl, etc you should directly connect using libpq, DBI, etc and pass the credentials that way.

Good luck!

Jason Minion
IT Developer
Sigler Printing & Publishing