look-up cache failures

From: wsmuir(at)islandnet(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: look-up cache failures
Date: 2001-03-10 02:45:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Could someone clarify what is apropriate for these situations for me
please...

Firstly I'm using 7.0.2 on Linux and FreeBSD and am in the development
cycle for a system.

My middle tier programmer asks me from time to time to add another
attribute to views that I have made, and everytime I do, I feel like
I'm tangling with disaster....

I have nested views and views which call on plpgsql functions,

if I happen to make a modification (using pgaccess) to a view which
has another view which uses it, it corrupts things and I have to drop
all of the views which make reference to the modified one and recreate
them... OR I can use pg_dump to allow me to make the modifications to
a dumpfile, drop the db and recreate using the modified dump.

Anyways, I am understanding the behaviour of this after fighting with
it for a while, but I'm wondering why it is so hard to do what I'm
doing... Are nested views a big no-no??? same deal with plpgsql
functions... if a view uses a plpgsql function and you make a change
to the function, the view won't work again until you drop it and
recreate it....

I've figured out that it has to do with creation/saving order for
visibility... in the lookup cache...

What SHOULD i be doing? Will 7.0.3 help me with this??? 7.1?

Thankyou

Scott.