Re: Column Name Length

From: "Ernesto Gutierrez" <world(at)eldergriffon(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column Name Length
Date: 2002-06-07 23:03:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have to laugh because I ran into precisely this problem for the first time
earlier today.

It appears that the maximum limit to any identifier name (be it table,
column, sequence, etc) is equal to the NAMEDATALEN constant in
/src/include/postgres_ext.h. So, presumably you can recompile the binaries
for a larger value. 64 (rather than 32) has been discussed in various places
as a reasonable compromise between convenience and performance. However, I
haven't tried this as yet. Perhaps someone else has better advice.

Ernie Gutierrez
Walnut Creek, California