Re: ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a hosed system again)

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'David Brown'" <time(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ok you all win what is best opteron (I dont want a hosed system again)
Date: 2005-05-14 18:19:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thank you much for the info.
I will take a look. I think the prices I have been seeing may exclude us
getting another 4 proc box this soon. My boss asked me to get something in
the 15K range (I spent 30 on the Dell).
The HP seemed to run around 30 but it had a lot more drives then the dell
(speced it with 14 10k drives).

I can and will most likely build it myself to try getting a bit more bang
for the buck and it is a second server so if it dies it should not be a
catastrophie.

FYI everyone using our system (after a week of dealing with many bugs) have
been saying how much they like the speed.
I did have to do a lot of creative ideas to get it working in a way that
appears faster to the client.
Stuff like the queries default to limit 50 and as they hit next I up the
limit (also a flag to just show all records and a count, it used to default
to that). The two worst queries (our case and audit applications) I created
denormalized files and maintain them through code. All reporting comes off
those and it is lightning fast.

I just want to say again thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past
few months.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel. 941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.