Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters

From: "Gnanakumar" <gnanam(at)zoniac(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Advice/guideline on increasing shared_buffers and kernel parameters
Date: 2012-05-08 09:26:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

> did you read
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/kernel-resources.html ?

Yes, I read. But I'm not able to find a correct way to increase Linux
Kernel parameters.

> If it is a dedicated DB server the rule of thumb usually is to use
> 25% RAM for shared buffers, but no more than 8GB unless proper
> benchmarking has shown a benefit using above 8GB. But I am not
> sure if 8GB of shared buffers is suitable for 8.2 at all. 8.2 is EOL btw.
> Also set effective cache size to 50% RAM.

As you can see, in my case, I'm setting only 3 GB (3072 MB), which is
actually below 8 GB. So, I need to increase kernel parameters in this
case. Any ideas/insights?

> Also, do you really NEED 1000 concurrent sessions? IF you really do, it
might
> be worse to look into a connection pooler.

Yes, our web-based application has crossed more than 500 concurrent users.
Hence we've already upgraded RAM and now we want to upgrade max connection
parameter too. Yes, we're already using pgpool-II v3.1.1 for connection
pooling.