RE: Problem with default partition pruning

From: "Yuzuko Hosoya" <hosoya(dot)yuzuko(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "'Amit Langote'" <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "'Thibaut'" <thibaut(dot)madelaine(at)dalibo(dot)com>, "'Imai, Yoshikazu'" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL Hackers'" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Problem with default partition pruning
Date: 2019-04-08 07:57:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit-san,

I see. I think that following example discussed in this thread before would
also be solved with your patch, not v2_ignore_contradictory_where_clauses_at_partprune_step.patch.

postgres=# set constraint_exclusion to on;

postgres=# explain select * from test2_0_20 where id = 25;
QUERY PLAN
Result (cost=0.00..0.00 rows=0 width=0)
One-Time Filter: false
(2 rows)

> > I think that the place of check contradiction process was wrong At
> > ignore_contradictory_where_clauses_at_partprune_step.patch.
> > So I fixed it.
>
> Thanks. Patch contains some whitespace noise:
>
> $ git diff --check
> src/backend/partitioning/partprune.c:790: trailing whitespace.
> + * given its partition constraint, we can ignore it,
> src/backend/partitioning/partprune.c:791: trailing whitespace.
> + * that is not try to pass it to the pruning code.
> src/backend/partitioning/partprune.c:792: trailing whitespace.
> + * We should do that especially to avoid pruning code
> src/backend/partitioning/partprune.c:810: trailing whitespace.
> +
> src/test/regress/sql/partition_prune.sql:87: trailing whitespace.
> +-- where clause contradicts sub-partition's constraint
>
> Can you please fix it?

Thanks for checking.
I'm attaching the latest patch.

> BTW, now I'm a bit puzzled between whether this case should be fixed by hacking on partprune.c like
> this patch does or whether to work on getting the other patch committed and expect users to set
> constraint_exclusion = on for this to behave as expected. The original intention of setting
> partition_qual in set_relation_partition_info() was for partprune.c to use it to remove useless
> arguments of OR clauses which otherwise would cause the failure to correctly prune the default partitions
> of sub-partitioned tables. As shown by the examples in this thread, the original effort was
> insufficient, which this patch aims to improve. But, it also expands the scope of partprune.c's usage
> of partition_qual, which is to effectively perform full-blown constraint exclusion without being
> controllable by constraint_exclusion GUC, which may be seen as being good or bad. The fact that it
> helps in getting partition pruning working correctly in more obscure cases like those discussed in
> this thread means it's good maybe.

Umm, even though this modification might be overhead, I think this problem should be solved
without setting constraint_exclusion GUC. But I'm not sure.

Best regards,
Yuzuko Hosoya

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3_ignore_contradictory_where_clauses_at_partprune_step.patch application/octet-stream 4.3 KB