Data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 8.3

From: "Phillip Smith" <phillip(dot)smith(at)weatherbeeta(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 8.3
Date: 2007-07-25 02:05:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,

Just tried to recompile (what I thought!) was the same version of PG that I
already had running, to add in the AdminPack to stop pgAdmin complaining
about it being missing.

After recompiling from source, with the Admin Pack (did it on a devel box
first to make sure I was doing the right thing), I did the following:
1. Shutdown PostgreSQL
2. 'gmake install' the recompiled version (same -prefix = /usr/local/pg-8.2)
3. Restart PostgreSQL

Now PostgreSQL complains at me with the following error:
2007-07-25 11:52:05 EST @ []DETAIL: The data directory was initialized by
PostgreSQL version 8.3, which is not compatible with this version 8.2.4.

As far as I'm aware, 8.3 doesn't exist! The latest version on the
postgresql.org website is 8.2.4

I'm assuming the problem is because the PG_VERSION file in the data
directory says 8.3, so I'm making a copy of the directory, changing that to
8.2 and see if it will start with that.

I can initialize a new data directory and restore last nights backup, but
I'd rather not have to loose everything that's happened in the last 4 hours.

Any advice on what's going on?

Cheers,
~p

*******************Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*******************

The material contained in this message is privileged and confidential to
the addressee. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy it and kindly
notify the sender by reply email.

Information in this message that does not relate to the official business
of Weatherbeeta must be treated as neither given nor endorsed by Weatherbeeta.
Weatherbeeta, its employees, contractors or associates shall not be liable
for direct, indirect or consequential loss arising from transmission of this
message or any attachments

THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT - Save paper if you don't really need to print this
e-mail.