Re: How to support German, French and other characters.

From: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
To: "Ivo Rossacher" <rossacher(at)bluewin(dot)ch>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to support German, French and other characters.
Date: 2004-11-11 08:22:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Ivo,

If I use UNICODE encoding for the DB I get some errors:
For example the following query: select lower('MöBÜEL')
returns ERROR: Unicode characters greater than or equal to 0x10000 are not
supported.

I found this on a forum:
> postgres 7.4 on linux, glibc 2.2.4-6

> I've a table containing unicode-data and the lower()-function does not
> work proper. While it lowers standard letters like A->a,B->b ... it
> fails on special letters like german umlauts (Ä , Ö ...) that are
simply
> keeped untouched.

upper() and lower() didn't support multibyte character sets before 8.0.

We are using these king of comparations and character translations in our
DB.

I really cannot figure out what solution to use.

Best regards,
Andy.