Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Jason Hihn" <jhihn(at)paytimepayroll(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL flamage on Slashdot
Date: 2003-03-19 01:31:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> That's only part of it. Since I'm a developer, I think more software is
key.
> Getting products that require MySQL is a big downside to PostgreSQL. Most
of
> the time too, those products are great and win over a lot of people.
> (vBulletin, Slashdot.org) Of course those were written for MySQL for all
the
> wrong reasons as well. Such famous apps give MySQL credibility where it
> should not. (Well, I can't say that technically - I have to say that the
app
> designers chose MySQL, for what reasons, we don't know (usually popularity
> but it may have been more analytical than that.) but somehow Joe blow
things
> MySQL will be good for his app too)

Hell yeah. Get this. We just installed Bugzilla at our company to do bug
tracking. WTF!?!?!?

It uses table locks every time someone submits a new bug to ensure integrity
(since it doesn't assume foreign keys). It actually has a "feature" where
if you have a high traffic site, then it uses MySQL's replication support to
create a read-only duplicate of the entire database, to enable people to do
searches while an insert is occurring!!!!

Bloody hell!!

Chris