Re: pg or DBI

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Devinder K Rajput" <Devinder(dot)Rajput(at)ipaper(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg or DBI
Date: 2002-10-26 11:26:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

> I have used pg to connect to postgres. However, I have seen a lot of
> people use DBI. Are there any advantages/disadvantages in using one or
the
> other for connecting to postgres via perl. Also, which one is more widely
> used? Thanks for your input.

I have never used Pg but I had a quick look and appears to be the way to go
if you are going to be using PostgreSQL only. DBI gives you two benefits
which are related; a) You can build software that will work with different
database backends with only minimal changes (if you follow the portability
guidelines) and b) you can work with multiple different database backends in
the same code at the same time.

The later is extremely powerful when you 'inherit' a job that may involve
ODBC, Oracle, PostgreSQL etc. Cough.

Give both a quick try, proof of concept them, and decide.

Peter