Re: Smb to get involved

From: "Pavlo Baron" <pb(at)pbit(dot)org>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Smb to get involved
Date: 2002-01-03 18:59:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ross J. Reedstrom writes:

> Hi Pavlo, welcome aboard!

:-)

> Like any good free software collaborative
> project, PostgreSQL is always happy to have new contributors. Just be
> prepared for public, honest, _productive_ criticism of your code.

oh yeah, I've already comunicated with some core gurus (Tom, Bruce, Thomas)
between years about providing a fix for a TODO-item, but it seems to me, the
thing I implemented would never match their expectations about how to fix
smth. lying deep in the basic code. I thought, nobody ever replies to my
first, Oracle-related email, so I used the moment to take a look at the
deepest basics. Then, I nerved those guys a little ,) Now, I really don't
think the codebase to be the right thing to me - in my honest opinion -
there is a great amount of code written by smb. else and there are
sufficient codebase experts having and being able to fix all those bugs. But
this playing around did really help me to understand some basic concepts of
the parser.

> If
> you've got an itch to make an Oracle compatability layer, scratch away:
> noone here will try to tell you what you _should_ be working on. Do
> note that being 'just like Oracle' is not a major goal for the project,
> but making it easy to port or write software against both databases is.

I never wanted to make PostgreSQL=Oracle, oh no. My original idea was to get
involved by providing a translation service or a part of it to overlay one
of it with the other one. I found some code and an Oracle-specific TODO in
the source-tree thinking a bit different from the idea with a Net8 listener
from the main TODO - I found this one terrible - maybe because I couldn't
find any free documentation on how to implement the Net8 layer.
I think, a complete SQL-translater for both databases would be the first
step. But there are very very many features with Oracle missing in PG, so
the translater Oracle2PG would get a little bit tricky to shallow some
things.
Is it interesting to discuss this theme now? (Smb. said, it's the wrong
moment now for such discussions.) I didn't want to appear where everybody
got stressed with the release completion.

rgds
Pavlo Baron