Re: Conditional rule?

From: André Næss <andre(dot)nass(at)student(dot)uib(dot)no>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Conditional rule?
Date: 2000-07-27 17:21:55
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hm... I'm a true newbie when it comes to plpgsql and triggers, but I looked
through some texts and managed to come up with the following rather odd (to
me at least) behaviour:

*****

create table news (
id serial,
title varchar(50),
time timestamp
)

create table news_un (
news_id int
)

Table "news_un"
Attribute | Type | Modifier
-----------+---------+----------
news_id | integer |

create function setpublish() returns opaque as '
begin
insert into news_un select news_id_seq.last_value where new.time is not
null;
return null;
end;
'
language 'plpgsql';

create trigger newstrigger after insert on news for each row execute
procedure setpublish();

*****
Attempting to do an insert to news:

testruledb=# insert into news (title, time) values('Test', now());
INSERT 24028 1
testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;
id | title | time
----+-------+------------------------
48 | Test | 2000-07-27 19:20:24+02
(1 row)

news_id
---------
47
48
(2 rows)

I also tried setting time to null:

testruledb=# insert into news (title) values('Test2');
INSERT 24031 1
testruledb=# select * from news; select * from news_un;
id | title | time
----+-------+------
50 | Test2 |
(1 row)

news_id
---------
49
(1 row)

There's obviously something about triggers and functions I don't understand,
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

André Næss