Re: Less available diskspace after crashed CLUSTER

From: "Sander Steffann" <steffann(at)nederland(dot)net>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Less available diskspace after crashed CLUSTER
Date: 2005-01-15 22:48:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Sorry for replying to myself, but I had to point out that:

>> I'm guessing that the new table/index files created during the CLUSTER
>> didn't get released after the PANIC. Look for files that are not
>> referenced by any relfilenode value in pg_class.
>
> Using the oid2name tool I get this:
> [...]
> I suspect all the files with "No tables with that oid found" can be
> removed, but I don't know exactly how oid2name works, so I'll check them
> against pg_class before removing them.

This is ofcourse not a good idea. There is quite a difference between the
oid and the relfilenode. Comparing the output of:
SELECT DISTINCT relfilenode FROM pg_class ORDER BY relfilenode;
to the directory listing gave a much better result.

The files I found in this way also had an atime which was the same as the
time of the crash.

Just to prevent someone else from making the mistake I made in my previous
message...

Thanks!
Sander.