Re: 7.4RC1 planned for Monday

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4RC1 planned for Monday
Date: 2003-11-01 00:49:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tatsuo Ishii" <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>; "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>;
"Joshua Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>; "PostgreSQL Hackers"
<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 7.4RC1 planned for Monday

> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 23:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > If we do a short cycle, will we have enough features to justify a
> > release? We could try to get PITR and Win32 done by January 1 and see
> > if that can happen.
>
> It's worth noting that we've thought about doing "quick" major releases
> in the past, without much success: originally, 7.4 was going to be
> "Win32 + PITR, released in a few months", and look how that turned out
> :-)
>
> Since the cost of migrating to a new major release is more-or-less
> constant (you need a complete initdb+reload whether the release took 3
> weeks or 3 years), I'm still not in favour of a short release cycle. But
> in any case, the whole debate is somewhat academic unless someone does
> the work to get PITR and Win32 done very quickly.

You don't have to upgrade to every new release.

Maybe win32 needs to be done against the 7.4 codebase whenever that is
branched, and could be released out of cycle.

PITR doesn't seem to be going anywhere very fast from the messages I've seen
here.

cheers

andrew