PHP memory usage

From: "A Palmblad" <adampalmblad(at)yahoo(dot)ca>
To: <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PHP memory usage
Date: 2004-05-31 21:22:18
Lists: pgsql-php

We've been running into some issues with PHP and Postgres, and memory usage.
On a dual athlon 64, w/ 4 gigs of RAM, PHP 4.3.6, and Postgres 7.4.2 I've
seen our server start to crawl after some queries returning very large
result sets. Although large result sets aren't exactly what we want to be
dealing with, I really want to avoid a situation where a user could disrupt
our server with certain options to some searches.

I did a quick commandline test, and it looks like PHP starts to eat memory
during its call to pg_query. By eat memory, I mean use memory well in
excess of php.ini's memory_limit of 8 megs. (I stop it around 90% of
available memory usage) Is this acceptable behaviour, or should I report it
to PHP as a bug? If not, are my only solutions to wrap my selects in
cursors and/or to use limit?

-Adam Palmblad