Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

From: "Andrei Bintintan" <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
To: "Theodore Petrosky" <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs
Date: 2004-05-06 05:27:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I suggest to store the images on the disc and write in the db only the path.
I am using the same solution. The only problem is that I have to make the
backups separately(in my case). Also this helps more in accessing the
images, you don't have to access for each image the database, you just have
to get the file path.

Think also at the dump size of the database (with blobs). (if you have 100GB
of photos..the dump will be also that big)

I never tied to put the database on 2 disks, I read somewhere that is
possible but I never tried it. In my situation I don't need this, because
the size of the DB is not quite that big. But for the photos we will use
more discs (we are not using 2 yet) and there is no difference in this case
how many discs you use, because in the DB you store only the path.

I see it this way more simple, maybe other have other opinions.

Best regards,
Andy.