Re: More thoughts about FE/BE protocol

From: "Peter Galbavy" <peter(dot)galbavy(at)knowtion(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: More thoughts about FE/BE protocol
Date: 2003-04-10 09:07:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm coming around to the idea that the cleanest solution is to require
> *all* protocol messages, in both directions, to have an initial length
> word. That is, the general message format would look like
> <message type> 1 byte
> <payload length> number of following bytes (4 bytes MSB-first)
> ... message data as needed ...

Is there any message - speaking from a standpoint of a normal user and not a
source hacker WRT postgresql - where knowing the length of the response is
either unknown or is expensive (in buffering) to find out ? This would be
the only disadvantage I can immediately see.

Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Peter