Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql (8.1.3)? any experiance?

From: "Guoping Zhang" <guoping(dot)zhang(at)nec(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "'Florian Weimer'" <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql (8.1.3)? any experiance?
Date: 2006-07-19 07:33:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi, Florian

Thanks for pointing me the cause, but we simply cannot use the COPY FROM
solution.

Currently, our application service is running with its own dedicated local
database, IF Feasible, we want to separate the application services out of
database server and run SEVERAL instances of applation serivice on its own
server (one per server), and make them all shall one database server. This
helps to the scalability and also reduce the device cost as only database
server would need mirror/backup/UPS etc.

Obviously, if there is no better solution, the TCP round trip penalty will
stop us doing so as we do have performance requirement.

I guess there shall be quite number of people out there facing the similar
problem, right? No alternative solution?

Regards,
Guoping Zhang