Intercept database Connection request

From: "Brett Maton" <brett(dot)maton(at)itaccounting(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Intercept database Connection request
Date: 2003-10-15 08:22:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Is it possible to intercept database connection requests via a trigger or something ?

I have a front end application which uses a fixed user name password to connect to the database and then does it's own authentication / access rights management.

We currently have in the region of 5,000 users and I really don't want to have to create "actual" database user accounts for each one....