Re: Compilation problems

From: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
To: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compilation problems
Date: 2004-03-21 12:49:49
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raphaël Enrici" <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: "Diego" <diegoman(at)usuarios(dot)retecal(dot)es>
Cc: "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>;
<pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Compilation problems
[...]
> Hi Diego,
> it looks like the exact same problem I had while packaging pgAdmin3
> 1.0.2 for debian.
> Dirk Dil reported the same problem on an LFS installation last february.
> To me it's a "configure" issue. I detailed the steps to follow in a
> thread on pgadmin-support mailing list: the thread is untitled
> "compiling problem".
> Please have a look here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-support/2004-02/msg00087.php
> Download the patch I sent in that previous mail and retry a build.
>
> If it solves this build problem, I think it's a candidate for a FAQ
> until we deliver a new corrected version.
> Last but not least, why are you trying a build ? Which OS do you use ? :)
>
> Regards,
> Raphaël

Hi, Raphaël. At last I've been able to compile pgadmin using your patch,
thank you. In my first attempt, I got an undefined reference to PQgetssl
(the same error that Dirk Dil reports on the thread you pointed), but I
solved it recompiling Postgresql with ssl support.

Just one more comment: Though the --enable-static option is selected, the
binary you get is still using shared libraries. The makefile invokes
"-lcrypt -lssl -lcrypto", which, as far as I know, make gcc use shared
libraries when "--static" option is not used. Is this a security issue? I
edited the makefile and replaced them with their corresponding static
libraries. The compilation went fine. Did I something wrong or it's OK to do
that?

Regards